2021 Maybank Women Eco-Weavers “Weaving Tales” Short Story Competition
Deadline: February 15, 2021
Applications are open for the Maybank Women Eco-Weavers: “Weaving Tales” Short Story Competition 2021. In partnership with Maybank Foundation, the ASEAN Foundation is pleased to invite writers across ASEAN to participate in the Maybank Women Eco-Weavers (MWEW) “Weaving Tales” Short Story Competition 2021.
MWEW is a program that promotes traditional textiles globally in a sustainable manner whilst creating economic independence and financial inclusion for women weavers across ASEAN region. The “Weaving Tales” Short Story Competition was launched with the aim to preserve the traditions and cultural heritage across the region, and to foster building the ASEAN identity as aligned to the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Blueprint 2025, in addition to promoting the aspirations of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The competition will provide the opportunity for all participating writers to present their creativity, imagination, visions, hopes and worries to the struggles to preserve the ancient art of textile weaving by the women weavers across ASEAN in the format of a short literature.
Theme: The theme of this MWEW First Edition is “Preservation and Acknowledgment of the Ancient Art of Textile Weaving Across ASEAN”.
- Each of the 20 Awardees will be granted USD 250 worth award, a personalised certificate and copies of the MWEW First Edition book in the mail.
- Selected stories will be published in the MWEW First Edition hardcover book featuring all winning short stories and honourable mentions. It will be available in e-book to be showcased on the Maybank Foundation’s and the ASEAN Foundation’s websites. It will be widely disseminated to all their networks across ASEAN and globally.
- Open to all writers who are citizens of ASEAN Member States (AMS)—Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam.
- Each participant may submit only one story to the competition.
Entry and Selection Rules
- Each stories entry must clearly and creatively address the theme “Preservation and Acknowledgment of the Ancient Art of Textile Weaving Across ASEAN”.
- Entries must be written in English of 250 (minimum) to 500 words (maximum) that fit onto two A4 pieces of paper recto-verso.
- Entries must be typed using Calibri 12-point regular font and 1.15 line spacing.
- Entries must be original piece, must not have won award or must not under consideration in other competitions.
- Authors must exercise stringent care to avoid plagiarism. Entries containing any forms of plagiarism will not be tolerated.
- Stories must reflect on the values of inclusivism, anti-discrimination, equality, and gender responsive.
- Entries must reflect on the inclusive, peaceful, and sustainable future of Eco weaving tradition.
- Drawings and illustrations are optional.
- Entries depicting violence, sexism, racism, or other inappropriate content such as smoking, drinking, or other vices, including messaging deemed to advocate curtailment of the rights of others, will be disqualified.
The closing date for submission is 23:59 PM (GMT +7), Monday, 15 February 2021. Late entries will not be accepted.