2021 West African Research Association (WARA) Residency Fellowships
Deadline: FEBRUARY 15, 2021
In the interest of enhancing transatlantic exchange and collaboration, the West African Research Association, with funding from the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the US State Department, offers Residencies for WARA member institutions to host a West African Scholar on their campus. Each residency will last 4-8 weeks and will provide the visiting scholar with opportunities for library research, guest lecturing, and/or collaborative work with American colleagues. Please note that residencies are short-term exchanges and are not meant to fill faculty positions. WARA will pay the round-trip travel costs of the selected scholar as well as a stipend of $3500 to help cover meals and local transportation costs. Host institutions are encouraged to provide additional support in the form of housing, office space, library privileges, laboratory facilities, or other supports for the period of the residency.
Please note that applications can only be made by WARA member institutions for the purpose of bringing a specific scholar to their campus. Applications from individual scholars will not be accepted.
Application requirements for Host Institution:
- Name and contact information for representative of WARA host institution
- A 50-80 word abstract of the proposed residency, clearly indicating the purpose of the Residency (indicate the host institution contact person)
- Proposal of no more than six (6) double-spaced pages profiling the visiting scholar, his or her proposed residency activities, how the residency will contribute to the goals of WARA, the expected impact or outcome of the residency, and any support that the host institution is prepared to contribute
- Curriculum vitae for the visiting scholar
- Letter of interest from the scholar
- Letter of support from a relevant administrator (dean, department chair, etc.) at the host institution
- Proof of citizenship in the form of a copy of the scholar’s passport (please note: only scholars who are eligible for non-immigrant visas to the U.S. will be considered)
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED NO LATER THAN 11:59pm FEBRUARY 15, 2021. LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Please direct inquiries to:
Funding for the WARA Residency Program is provided by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the US Department of State through a grant from the Council of American Overseas Research Centers.
For More Information: