Deadline: December 13, 2020 before midnight (EDT)
Breakthrough Program 2021 for Emerging and High-Potential Directors & Producers
Prepare to pitch for development funds and a development deal for your project. Sell your project at the prestigious Hot Docs International Documentary Festival and beyond! Eight emerging and high-potential producers will be selected for this rigorous and intimate market-preparation course where they’ll develop a successful festival strategy and hone their project pitches and materials to prepare for one of two Breakthrough Awards and the Deal Maker program at Hot Docs.
Breakthrough Program 2021 Benefits:
- Two intensive weekend workshops, where participants will hone their trailers and work on their pitch materials with story editors, producers, and pitch specialists.
- For two months leading up to Hot Docs, weekly sessions with acclaimed documentary filmmakers and project-specific feedback from funders, broadcasters, distributors, and peers.
- All-Access Pass to the 2021 Hot Docs Film Festival and Forum, to attend industry sessions, network with key industry professionals, set up meetings to sell their projects and connect and collaborate with peers.
- Free one-year DOC membership.
- The Breakthrough Alumni Network, a private group where alumni share opportunities & information.
Our 2021 Breakthrough Program concludes with the opportunity to pitch their projects to receive the Breakthrough Development Award:
- $20,000 cash prize from the Rogers Group of Funds
- Development deal from CBC
- Mentorship and professional development support from the DOC Institute
The Program commences with two weekend bootcamps in late January and late February, followed by weekly workshops for seven weeks on Wednesday evenings in March and April. We encourage all qualified Ontario-based professionals to apply.
To apply candidates must:
1. Be documentary filmmakers who live and work in Ontario (we welcome applications from outside the GTA).
2. Be documentary filmmakers who have at least one producing or directing broadcast credit, but no more than five; or who have a comparable level of industry success and experience.
3. Have a slate of one to three projects in development (can be features, shorts, or webseries).
4. Be able to attend the following: the two Breakthrough weekend workshops (January and February), the Breakthrough Program (March – April); the majority of the Hot Docs Festival (April/May), including the Forum; and all DOC Institute training during the program.
Originally posted 2022-08-29 19:42:43.