DBE Matsie Angelina Motshekga News Update on Kwazulu-Natal (KZN) Flood
The Minister of Basic Education, Mrs Angie Motshekga, has expressed her sincere condolences and sympathy to all the families who have lost their loved ones in the heavy rains in KwaZulu-Natal.
The latest reports indicate that 306 people have lost their lives in the widespread floods that affected various areas in the province.
Minister Motshekga said that by Wednesday afternoon 18 learners and one educator had been reported to have perished in the disaster that occurred. “We are saddened that so many lives have been lost and we would like to express our deepest condolences to all affected families and relatives. It is such a tragic loss and our prayers go out to those who have lost their family members and those who lost their belongings,” said Minister Motshekga.
The floods have forced the Department of Education in the province to close schools until next week as more than 120 have been reported to be damaged.
“This is a catastrophe and the damage is unprecedented. What is even more worrying is that more rain is expected in the same areas that are already affected.” Minister Motshekga said. The province has now been declared a provincial disaster.
The Department of Basic Education has sent a team of senior managers to support the provincial education department in conducting an assessment of the damage caused. The Minister will visit the province soon.
The DBE will collaborate with the Department of Education in KZN together with other departments and stakeholders to assist affected families.
The Department of Education in the province had already suffered from recent storms which caused extensive damage to more than 200 schools. KZN Education MEC Kwazi Mshengu said that the province has now more than 500 schools that are damaged and require urgent attention.
ISSUED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF BASIC EDUCATION
Originally posted 2022-08-29 20:49:03.