The Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, recently directed the police hierarchy in the country to commence the recruitment of special constables nationwide preparatory to the implementation of its community policing policy.
Adamu consequently directed state police commands to set up screening committees.
CPs, ACPs and DPOs are to liaise with traditional rulers and community leaders in their domains to screen volunteers-
- Volunteers must be of good character for their eventual engagement as special constables. Volunteers must be resident in their respective communities.
- Volunteers must also be between the ages of 21 and 50 with the willingness to serve the community.”
- At least, 50 volunteers will be recruited from each of the 774 local government areas in the country to support community policing.
- Candidates for the constabulary job must be physically fit and gainfully employed.
- The special constables, who would not be armed, are expected-
- Handle charge room and administrative duties
- Crowd control
- Accident scene duties
- Alternative dispute resolution and other less sensitive and less risky functions.
They will dress in police uniform but with different force numbers to distinguish them from the regular cops.
Originally posted 2022-08-29 19:29:53.