Gauteng Education Department to Investigate death of a grade 10 learner
The Gauteng Education Department has said that they intend to launch an independent investigation into the death of a grade 10 learner at a school in Gauteng. The provincial department’s MEC visited the family of the deceased and addressed the media on the steps they intend to take going forward.
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi said that his department will conduct an independent investigation into the death of a Grade 10 learner at Tsakane Secondary School in Ekurhuleni.
It’s alleged that the learner succumbed to injuries sustained after being assaulted with a golf stick by a teacher and general assistant from the school on Tuesday last week. Lesufi addressed the media earlier, after visiting the learner’s family.
Lesufi further stated they are currently in the process of trying to understand more details about the nature of the altercation and upon gathering the evidence, take the necessary disciplinary action.
We don’t want to find ourselves as a department coming to explain to the family. So we’ll appoint an independent person just to interview everyone, get the necessary evidence and on the basis of that evidence if we need to act, we’ll act decisively as a department.
The MEC also extended his apology on behalf of the department and also extended his condolences to the family. Meanwhile, learners took to the streets on Monday and embarked on a march around the township, demanding justice for the deceased learner.